This software is intended as a guide to assist inexperienced personnel who wish to understand the appropriate uses of various classes of utility locating technology according to the overall goals of the investigation, the site conditions and the characteristics of specific target utilities. It is not intended to discriminate between specific equipment choices. This is because there is little independent information on the performance of specific equipment under controlled conditions and because equipment performance can be affected by site conditions that are often unknown at the time the equipment is selected. It is intended, however, that this assistant will help users understand whether equipment choices are reasonable for the intended task.
This software focuses on the selection of:
- Geophysical technology used to detect and image underground utilities
- Processes, procedures, and techniques used by the field technicians in collecting the geophysical data in the field
It does not include other important aspects of the utility locating and damage prevention process:
- Other sources of information regarding utility location, such as visual observation and/or existing records
- Utility coordination effects among utilities and transportation agencies
- One call system
- Means and methods of transferring data from the instrumentation to the data users
- Integration and validation of data sources
- Formatting and display of data to the data users
- Retention of and record-keeping practices for the data
Try the SAULT Console!